Home Result Driven Representation
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
You Can Marry Your Cousin In Tennessee...... (2 viewing) (2) Guests
Go to bottomPost New TopicPost Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: You Can Marry Your Cousin In Tennessee......
You Can Marry Your Cousin In Tennessee...... 8 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0  
Most couples apply for their marriage license within 30 days of the ceremony. This makes it easier for the couple to keep up with the license and avoids any unnecessary confusion. What does a couple have to do in Tennessee to apply for a marriage license?

The couple must appear in person at the county clerk’s office to apply for the marriage license. It is important that they both bring a valid driver’s license and certified birth certificate. Another form of ID that can be used is a valid passport.

The couple does not have to be residents of Tennessee to apply for the license but the marriage must take place in Tennessee.

There are two types of marriages that are valid in Tennessee. The first is traditional marriage which is the bringing together of a man and a woman. The second type of marriage that is legal in Tennessee is cousin marriage. First cousins are allowed to marry because they are considered lateral relations. It is illegal to marry someone that has a lineal relation (brother, sister, etc.)...thank goodness.

The legal age for marriage in Tennessee is 18 years old. If a minor between the ages of 16 to 18 decides to be married, they will need parental permission. The parents must also be present when the application is processed. Those that are under the age of 16 must have a court order along with parental permission.

Those that were married before must bring proof of divorce or dissolution to the clerk’s office at the time of application.

The marriage license is valid for 30 days. Most couples will pick up the marriage license within 30 days of the ceremony.

Ministers, rabbis and priest are all allowed to perform marriage ceremonies in Tennessee. When the ceremony is completed, the clergy member must return the license to the clerk’s office within 3 days after the marriage ceremony.

We hope that you have found this informative. Call the law office of Andrew E. Farmer at (865) 428-6737 for a free consultation. We serve clients throughout East Tennessee, including the cities of Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, Kingsport, Knoxville, Morristown, Maryville, Oak Ridge, Newport, Johnson City, and any other town. We serve all tourists legal needs as well. We have many out of state clients that we work with. Give us a call at (865) 428-6737.
Please note, although no boardcode and smiley buttons are shown, they are still useable
Andrew Farmer Law Office (Admin)
Posts: 107
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Logged Logged  
Reply Quote  
Go to topPost New TopicPost Reply